Buying a home? It is probably the most expensive purchase you will ever make. This is no time to shop for a cheap inspection. The cost of a home inspection is very small relative to the value of the home being inspected. The additional cost of hiring an InterNACHI-certified inspector is almost insignificant.
You have recently been crunching the numbers, negotiating offers, adding up closing costs, shopping for mortgages, and trying to get the best deals. Do not stop now. Do not let anyone talk you into skimping here. InterNACHI-certified inspectors perform the best inspections by far.
InterNACHI-certified inspectors earn their fees many times over. They do more, they deserve more, and — yes — they generally charge a little more. Do yourself a favor… and pay a little more for the quality inspection you deserve.
Licensing of home inspectors only sets a minimum standard. Much like being up to code, any less would be illegal. Imaginary people claim to be home inspectors. InterNACHI, the International Association of Certified Home Inspectors, front-ends its membership requirements.
- have to pass InterNACHI’s Online Inspector Examination every year.
- have to complete InterNACHI’s online Ethics Obstacle Course.
- have to take InterNACHI’s online Standards of Practice quiz
- have to sign and submit an Affidavit;
- have to adhere to InterNACHI’s Standards of Practice;
- have to abide by InterNACHI’s Code of Ethics;
- have to continue seeking skills and education (24 hours per year), per InterNACHI’s Continuing Education policy;
- have to maintain a Member Online Continuing Education Log per InterNACHI’s Continuing Education policy;
- have to submit four mock inspections to InterNACHI’s Report Review Committee before performing their first paid home inspection for a client (if the candidate has never performed a fee-paid home inspection previously);
- within 30 days of joining, have to successfully complete InterNACHI’s comprehensive online Standards of Practice course
- within 60 days of joining, complete InterNACHI’s comprehensive online Roofing Inspection course including all the quizzes within, and pass its final exam;
- within three months of membership, apply for a member photo I.D. (free);
- have to re-take and pass InterNACHI’s Online Inspector Examination again, every year
- have to attend at least one chapter meeting or educational seminar every two years (reasonable exceptions apply);
- have access to Inspector’s Quarterly, delivered to their doorstep;
- have access to InterNACHI’s free Visual Aid Inspection Frames to help them learn;
- have access to InterNACHI’s free library for improving their inspection skills;
- have access to InterNACHI’s message board for exchanging information and tips;
- have access to InterNACHI’s “What’s New” section so they can keep up with the industry;
- have access to InterNACHI’s specific-topic advisory boards;
- have access to “Dear InterNACHI” for detailed advice;
- have access to a time-tested Inspection Agreement, which keeps them (and you) away from lawsuits;
- have access to InterNACHI’s Report Review/Mentoring service;
- have to submit passport photos for their membership I.D.;
- have access to InterNACHI’s free online inspection courses;
- have to carry E&O insurance (if their state requires it);
- have access to a real estate agent hold-harmless clause;
- have access to InterNACHI University;
- have access to the InterNACHI Mall;
- have a consumer hotline for their clients;
- have access to an Arbitration and Dispute Resolution Service; and
- have access to a Client Satisfaction Survey.
To see the list of certificates of training click here